How can I get the most out of my mentorship experience?
- Think carefully about the areas you most want to improve, and communicate those clearly to your mentor
- Learn about your mentor’s background and ask about the connections and experience that are most interesting to you
- Give your mentor feedback
My school invited me to join MC, but I don’t think I need a mentor. What should I do?
Mentors can help you delve deeper into an academic interest, career field, or activity that you already excel at, whether it’s finding an internship, getting a promotion, succeeding in an advanced class, or being elected to a leadership role.
I’m an adult student, and I’d like to be matched with someone who shares my experience. Is this possible?
Yes! Many of our mentors are or were adult students. You can indicate this preference on your matching survey during the sign-up process.
What kind of preparation do mentors get?
- Videochat training with a specialized MC trainer
- Information on key resources at your school
- Ongoing support from the Mentor Collective team as well as coordinators on campus
What if I don’t like my mentor?
We encourage you to try a few conversations with your mentor to get a sense of the areas they can be helpful with, but if you aren’t comfortable in your mentorship for any reason, email email@example.com right away and we will connect you with a new mentor.
What qualities will my mentor and I have in common?
- As part of the sign-up process you’ll take a matching survey indicating what common traits are most important to you
- Many students prioritize common academic interests, career experiences, life challenges or personal background.
I have an idea for how Mentor Collective could serve me and my school better. How do I share that feedback?
Mentee feedback is essential to the MC program. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback - we would love to learn from you.
Can I become a mentor myself?
Yes. Many of the best MC mentors are former mentees. Depending on your school, you might be invited to participate as a mentor as an upperclass student, or as an alumnus/a.
When will I be matched?
It varies by school, but matching usually occurs on a rolling basis. We try our best to match you as soon as possible, but sometimes we decide to wait until a great fit becomes available. For further details, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
I’m having trouble with the website. What should I do?
Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or text us at (617) 340 - 3014